Carbon Monoxide Alarm Installation
A carbon monoxide alarm is just like having a guardian angel looking over your shoulder. It’s well worth having for peace of mind.
Star Sweep Enterprise put safety first and offer CO alarm installation as a service in Darlington and the surrounding areas. Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas, formed by the incomplete burning of carbon based fuels such as gas, wood, oil and coal. A fire without sufficient ventilation, whether due to a poor feed of fresh air and/or a fire with a blocked, leaking or restricted chimney flue can result in high levels of Carbon Monoxide in the room. Gas is colourless, odourless and tasteless. It is also highly dangerous. Gas is absorbed via the lungs into the bloodstream where it replaces oxygen by attaching chemically to hemoglobin (red blood cells), forming carboxyhemoglobin. The effects reduce the ability of blood carrying oxygen around the body. Symptoms of low level carbon monoxide poisoning can be mistaken for cold or flu like symptoms, including headaches, fatigue, dizziness, or even food poisoning with vomiting and nausea. Carbon Monoxide alarm installation prevents this from happening.
On average there are about 40 deaths per year due to unintentional Carbon Monoxide poisoning from all fuels and about 300 people injured. In reality the injured figure is probably much higher as it can be a number of hours before a patient in a hospital or a general practice has a blood or breath test and this can give a false negative.
If you have any fossil fuel burning appliance we would always recommend the use of an audible carbon monoxide alarm. These can now be purchased from many DIY stores, supermarkets and on the internet. Look out for one that complies with British Standard EN50291 and carries a kitemark with a British or European approval mark. If you’re not sure what to get let us know and I can choose one on your behalf. The alarm should be fitted in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.